Whether you are fit or not, there are ways to exercise safely to prevent injury and make your training time more pleasant. No one wants to be injured during their exercise session; for a start, injury is painful and secondly, it will prevent you achieving your goal as you’ll have to forego those exercises until you’ve healed. So don’t rush in without learning how to exercise safely.
Here are some tips to help you
- If you’ve not exercised much before, get clearance from your doctor before you start.
- Don’t do exercises that jolt your joints if you have arthritis or another inflammatory disease.
- Warm up for 5 or 10 minutes before you start, and warm down too, to help prevent injury.
- If you are not sure how to do a specific exercise, get a trainer to show you how first and make sure you are doing it properly to avoid injury.
- Start off slowly and build up rather than rushing in with a hard 2-hour session if you haven’t done much exercise before.
- Mix different kinds of activity so you don’t wear out one set of muscles without exercising the others. Rest properly in between activities.