If you have to travel for more than an hour to work, it could be costing you a great deal more than you realise. It is not only the cost of fuel and wear and tear on the car, there is the cost in time you need to consider. It may be much better for you to find removalists who can move you to a new home, instead of spending all your spare time travelling.
Just imagine what you could do with that extra two or more hours a day if you didn’t have to use them up in travelling to and from work. If you live close to work you would not have to –
- Get up so early
- Spend so much on fuel, parking etc
- Become hassled over driving in peak hour traffic
- Worry whether you might have a car crash
- Get home so late you don’t see the children before bedtime
Instead, you’ll have more time and more energy to –
- Play with the kids
- Enjoy eating out with fiancée, wife or friends
- Have extra money in your pocket
- Be able to pay off the mortgage quicker with it
- Do a craft or sport you didn’t have time for before
- Be able to manage with one car instead of two
- Save money
- Enjoy being at home more
- Save to go on a proper holiday or travel overseas
Even though selling your home and moving may seem like a hassle and a cost, you have to think what it will achieve in terms of a lifestyle change. You only get one life to live and if you are under pressure at work and never seem to have enough time to do anything nice, you are not having much of a life. By moving closer to your workplace your lifestyle will be more leisurely and relaxed and you’ll be healthier as a result.
You may be able to move closer to friends or family, or even find that making a new start brings you many new friends and opportunities. You may be able to cut the cost of the removalist if you can get back freight. That is, find a truck that is going back to your new location empty. Removalists often advertise this and it can sometimes cost less because it helps them to recover the cost of their return journey.
And you never know whether the cost of the new home may be much less than the sale price of your old one, so you could make a profit. However, money isn’t everything, so this should not be your first consideration. It’s healthy relationships that make you happy, not money.