Many people run for exercise and this is a good way of burning calories as well as hardening your body. Running uses many of the different parts of the body, however if you run the wrong way it can cause injuries such as shin splints, plantar fasciitis and hamstring pain. Once, these injuries were an accepted part of running and no one thought they could be avoided by running a different way.
Runners often push off with one foot while stretching their other leg as far to the front as possible. This is not good for their balance; the reaching foot will come down heavily and must stay on the ground absorbing the weight of your body as it catches up. If you can hear your feet slapping the ground hard as you run, you may be using this technique.
Most health care professionals now agree that stress has a large part to play in many diseases from the common cold to diseases that are major and can be fatal. When a person has a lot of bad stress in their life, their immune system often gets worn out, or cannot work the way it should to protect them from such diseases. This makes their body far more likely to become a victim of things like heart disease, ulcers, digestive problems and many other enemies of health.
It is well-known also that having a pet can reduce stress levels to the extent that people even live longer when they have a pet to love and care for. Of course, not everyone can have a pet for various reasons. If you are at work all day, leaving a pet alone in the house or chained up in the back yard is cruel. Then there are people who suffer allergies to pet hair and dander, making de-stressing with a pet impossible. So what can you do?
One way to ensure your stress levels don’t get out of hand is to create a quiet place in the back garden or even in the home where you can relax. It should be a private place where there will be minimum noise and interruptions. You can do this by creating an outdoor space using comfortable outdoor furniture that is easy to relax on. Much outdoor furniture is not all that comfortable, so make sure you test it out before purchasing. Back support is important and you may need to have additional cushions, otherwise you won’t want to sit there for long.
When you have a disability such as a lost limb, vision problem or a disease that affects you physically it is all the more important to stay healthy. And sometimes it is extremely difficult to do the things you should in order to gain optimum health. All you can do is try your best and be guided by your doctor or health care professionals. Here are some of the ways you can stay healthy both physically, mentally and emotionally.
Physically: Get all the exercise you can with your type of disability. Whether you go to a gym, can swim in a pool, have some form of exercise aides in your home or depend on another person to help you exercise, it is vital to move your body in as many ways as possible to keep as fit as you can. If you don’t it will be very difficult to stay healthy and your muscles will just waste away until you can hardly move at all.
Mentally: Exercise of the mind is just as important as exercising the body, no matter if you have a disability or not. However, a disabled person is often deprived of the many sights and sounds that can stir up the mind and imagination to become creative and educated as far as possible. Letting your mind go to the pack can make it difficult for people to relate to you, talk to you and make you understand what it is necessary for you to know in order to stay fit physically and in your mental health. There are many ways to exercise your mind, from watching documentaries and even movies on TV to reading informational books and magazines. You may be able to take a correspondence course in something you are interested in. Doing various kinds of puzzles, learning a craft and even playing cards also helps your mind to stay active.
Many people are really serious about training properly so their bodies are in top shape all the time. Others just want to lose a bit of weight or to sculpt some part of their body so it looks firmer. That’s okay too; having some kind of goal, such as running a marathon or losing 5 kilos, is important and helps you to focus. Here are some training tips and strategies to help anyone achieve their best during training.
- When you are serious about training, you’ll be doing it most days. That means your body needs more fuel. It is far better to eat 5 small meals a day than 3 larger ones. Make sure every mouthful is nutrient dense. When you eat your metabolism is stimulated.
- Stay hydrated because you’ll be sweating hard during training. Some fitness experts recommend drinking a glass of ice cold water first thing in the morning as it boosts your metabolism for 90 minutes.
- Lower body resistance training is needed to flatten your waistline. You also need to eat fewer carbs and calories.
- To burn stored body fat you need to exercise past the 20 minute mark, because during that first 20 minutes your body burns carbohydrates rather than stored fats for its fuel.
- If the scales don’t show a decrease in weight over several weeks it’s probably because you are gaining muscle as well as losing weight. Get a more accurate picture by taking photos of the back, front and side of your body so you can see how it’s changing. Make sure to wear the same clothing and be in the same light conditions each week.
Even though cholesterol is made in the body, it can be increased by the things we eat. Having high cholesterol is really bad for you as it blocks up the arteries and prevents the blood from going through the way it should. This can cause heart attack, stroke or other problems such as poor circulation.
There are two kinds of cholesterol; high density lipoprotein (HDL) and low density lipoprotein (LDL). The former is good and the latter is bad because this is what gives you the kind of cholesterol that blocks the blood vessels. This is known as plaque and causes the arteries to harden and narrow so the blood flow is restricted, causing heart pain and often, heart attack.
Here are some easy ways to reduce your cholesterol levels so you can be healthier.
- Eat less saturated fats such as that from meat and junk foods.
- Eat more healthy choices such as vegetables fruit and nuts.
- Reduce your intake of processed meats such as sausages, Devon, ham and hot dogs.
- Avoid the skin of chicken.
- Have low fat or no fat option in drinks, cheese and yoghurt.
- Go low on the bought cake and biscuits – home made (not packet cakes) are better.
- Get plenty of exercise. This also helps to lower cholesterol.
There are many unsung heroes in the world and those who care for an ill spouse or disabled child are high on the list. The only trouble is that according to statistics, carers are under such stress from what is often a 24/7 job that they end up dying ahead of those they care for. Financial planning with good advice from a financial advisor like Andep can really help these wonderful people stay the course so they are on hand to care for their loved one right till the end – something they would really want to do.
A financial planner or advisor is needed to help carers plan their daily budget as well as making plans for the future to ensure their loved one is taken care of if they are not there to do it. Once the stress of financial matters is taken care of, the carer will be less likely to suffer from a stress-related disease that could be fatal.
If you want to hear lots of laughter at your wedding reception or party, hire a photo booth so your guests can dress up and have a lot of fun taking funny photos of themselves and their friends. Laughter gives us many health benefits and here are some of them.
- While it may seem like a simple thing to do, laughter is considered to be a great workout because it exercises your shoulders, diaphragm, abdomen and respiratory system. This is why having a good belly laugh makes you feel relaxed and happy afterwards.
- Laughter relieves stress, decreasing stress hormones such as cortisol in the body, while at the same time increasing health-inducing chemicals. It stimulates the blood circulation and gives your muscles a gentle workout that stimulates them and alleviates stress.
Deep vein thrombosis is not only caused by sitting for long hours in an airplane; it can be caused by sitting at your computer desk for long periods without moving. If you are a website designer, computer programmer or an SEO consultant for instance, you can get so caught up in what you are doing that you forget the time and even where you are. You can even forget to move for hours at a time.
Exercise is essential for a healthy body, but how can you get enough exercise when you have a sedentary job that requires you to sit for long periods of time? Here are some tips to help you get the kind of exercise you need to remain healthy and avoid problems such as deep vein thrombosis.
- Get up at least once every hour and stretch, then walk to the water cooler or around the office for a few minutes.
- While seated, move your feet and legs around to different positions.
- Balance your feet on your toes and bounce your heels up and down for five minutes. This is easiest if you place your toes under your chair.
- Lift one foot off the floor and swing it backwards and forwards several times, then change to the other foot.
- Have a footstool under the computer desk so you can sit with your feet raised up a little for some of the time.
Stress that goes on for a long time without any relief is very bad for you. It can cause many different physical symptoms from indigestion and ulcers to stroke and heart attack. If you run a business or have work such as a business consultant where you are dealing with many different kinds of people and their problems, stress is sure to accompany your working week.
To stay healthy, it is important to find ways of reducing your stress. To do that well, you need to define what kind of stress you have.
- Emotional stress – this is caused by dealing with people who may be hard to get on with for some reason. It may be the boss who expects you to get through a workload that is too heavy. It could be clients change their minds constantly causing you to lose time in redoing something they don’t want or are not satisfied with. Or it could be caused by other employees that harass you or cause problems at work in some other way. Emotional stress from home can even cause your business day to be stressful.
If you have to travel for more than an hour to work, it could be costing you a great deal more than you realise. It is not only the cost of fuel and wear and tear on the car, there is the cost in time you need to consider. It may be much better for you to find some removalists like Brilliance Removalists who can move you to a new home, instead of spending all your spare time travelling.
Just imagine what you could do with that extra two or more hours a day if you didn’t have to use them up in travelling to and from work. If you live close to work you would not have to –
- Get up so early
- Spend so much on fuel, parking etc
- Become hassled over driving in peak hour traffic
- Worry whether you might have a car crash
- Get home so late you don’t see the children before bedtime
Instead, you’ll have more time and more energy to –
Heart health is important, since many people die of heart attacks every year. Most heart attacks have serious consequences even if they are not fatal. You have to take a great deal of care once you’ve had one and it can totally change your life. But by following these 10 simple tips, you can keep your heart much healthier and avoid having a heart attack.
- Reduce or give up smoking. Smoking is very bad for heart health since it reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood. It not only increases the risk of heart attack, but of other baddies such as stroke.
- Manage your cholesterol levels. Cholesterol is a fatty substance in the blood that sticks to the walls of your arteries, preventing blood from flowing freely through your heart.
- Watch your blood pressure and take medication to reduce it if it’s too high. High blood pressure is a risk factor for heart disease. It’s dangerous because you can’t feel anything wrong. It is wise to have your blood pressure checked every time you go to a chemist. It’s usually free.
- If you have diabetes, your risk of heart attack is higher. Always follow the doctor’s orders to best manage your diabetes.
- Exercise is an important part of staying healthy. If you have a sitting down job, try and get up at least once an hour to stretch your legs and get the blood flowing to keep your heart healthy and prevent deep vein thrombosis. Go walking, cycling, dancing or swimming. Play in the park with your kids. Take up gardening.
- Keep your weight down by exercise and by eating healthy foods – and amounts. Obese people are more at risk of heart attack. You may need help to get weight down to an acceptable level if you’ve tried and failed to lose weight.
Training your child may be considered by many parents to be the more difficult part of parenting. It’s easy to change a toddler’s dirty nappy, but not so easy to train him or her to use the toilet. It’s easier to feed your toddler than to let them learn by doing it themselves. Both the above scenarios are essential if you don’t want your carpet to get dirtied with food or other unmentionables. Carpet cleaners such as Brilliance Carpet Cleaning will always be necessary when you have kids, but it can be minimised with the right training.
However, training takes patience and you should not expect your little ones to learn something on the first day. Their little minds don’t always grasp the concepts of cleanliness that you present to them. And when they do, it takes longer to establish the habit in them. You may love hugs and kisses, bathing and dressing your child up in pretty clothes, but training them to be and do what you want is a whole other ball game. So how can you make it easier?
Almost everyone would know someone with cancer of some kind. This dreadful disease seems to be at epidemic proportions nowadays so what can we do to fight it? It may seem too simple, but the foods we eat give our bodies cancer fighting nutrients that can help to prevent it from affecting us – but only if we eat the right kind of foods.
What are they? Many vegetables and fruit contain health and life giving nutrients, but some have more in them than others. Here are some to include in your diet to help prevent cancer.
- Broccoli – while all cruciferous vegetables do contain cancer-fighting properties, broccoli is the one that contains high levels of sulforaphane. This potent compound will boost your protective enzymes and flush out the kinds of chemicals that cause cancer, according to Jed Fahey ScD. A study in Michigan University proved that sulforaphane also targets cancer stem cells that cause tumours.
Organising all the different components of a wedding can be one of the most stressful things you’ve ever done. It’s a good idea to try and simplify things were possible, because stress can be really bad for your health. For instance, signing up for a wedding package will save you looking for a photographer, although you may still want one for the ceremony or for more formal studio photographs, depending on how formal your wedding is to be.
Some short-term stress is good for you. It gets the adrenaline running and enables you to perform at a higher level when needed. But stress that goes on for a long time such as the months it takes to plan a wedding can eat away at you insidiously, causing all kinds of health problems and even make you difficult to get on with.
Doctors now realise that ongoing stress causes or plays a big part in causing many significant diseases and other health problems that may be more minor but are nevertheless uncomfortable to endure. Stress even plays a part in your body succumbing to the common cold. If the bride to be becomes irritable and snappy during the months preceding the wedding it really spoils the relationship as well as the wedding day. A day that should be the happiest of all is ruined simply due to stress.
Simplifying your wedding arrangements will help to reduce this bad stress and get your relationships back on an even footing. Delegating jobs is a good way to start. Don’t try and do everything yourself, but ask others to arrange certain components. You can have different people organising the following:
- Flowers for the bouquets, tables and other decorations
- The wedding cake
- The bridesmaid robes
- The reception venue
- Booking all the hair appointments and makeup
- The drinks
- The wedding DJ and music
- The catering
- The invitations and place cards
There is a growing need for people to improve their lifestyle through the means of supplementing their diet with the proper foods that are enriched with the right minerals and vitamins. You need to ensure that you consume whole foods that contain a high amount of fibers, enzymes that catalyze the reactions in the digestive tract etc. In this section we have taken the privilege to find the right foods for you which will translate into a better self reflecting image of yourself.
Foods for the Soul:
There should be a high intake of almonds in your dietary system. These almonds help you in maintaining and balancing the protein and the magnesium content in your body which is necessary for building the tissue of your body. A snack of almonds consisting of 14-15 almonds that are unsalted will take your body a long way.
Your body is in continuous need of antioxidants that will help your tissue from aging and that combat free radicals. These radicals inhibit the growth of your tissues and make your tissues and cells degenerate. Most of the researches have proved that there is a correlation in the use of antioxidants and that of increase in lifespan.
Landscape design is meant to create a beautiful outdoor space that people enjoy spending time in, but it does far more than most people realise for their health. Many studies have shown that spending time outdoors either in a natural bush environment or one that has been created on purpose, has many health benefits for those who are sick in some way, either mentally or physically.
In fact, one Perth hospital has had an outdoor space designed especially to help in the recovery and rehabilitation of patients who have been injured in some way and for those who are suffering from mental problems such as depression. Simply walking around the area the way it is designed, gives patients small challenges to overcome and helps them to exercise in a way that gets those injured muscles working. Their carers can actually measure their improvements daily due to small markers that are not very noticeable, so don’t spoil the landscape.
Many people realise that being outside in such a space either at home or at a public park, for instance, makes them feel much less stressed and has a calming influence. Most doctors agree that constant, long-lasting stress is big factor in causing many diseases as the effect it has on the body is so negative. It can cause high blood pressure which can lead to heart attack or stroke and many other nasty health problems.
The season of summer means more physical activities and outdoor exposures. People get a chance to flex their muscles finally and get out in the sun after the long winters. But the major drawback in this season is the skin irritation and infections it causes. It is obvious to sweat in summer, and that means it is easy to catch infections.
There are various kinds of skin infections that a person develops during summer. However, with proper care and attention, these can be treated well. A person needs to make sure he takes care of his skin, both before and during the infection. Some of the major skin infections and their treatments are given below.
Heat Rash: As the name suggests, this infection is caused due to the intense heat in the summers. It is caused due to the perspiration being trapped in the sweat ducts. It takes the shape of tiny red bumps in skin folds or other places where clothes cause friction.
Treatment: It usually heals itself if the skin is given enough air. It is advisable to wear clothes that are lightweight and breathable and avoid creamy and oily ointments. These rashes last for around 2 or 3 days, but if they still don’t cure, you should see a doctor as it can be an infection.
Poison Ivy: These plants are not specifically poisonous, but many people may be allergic to them, and this may cause them to develop allergic reactions. These may include red patches along with swelling, warmth and itching. It can normally be seen after 12 – 72 hours of contact.
Treatment: Prevention is better than cure, and thus, it is advisable to wash hands and clothes after any contact. If the infection still occurs, you can use OTC calamine or else antihistamine depending on the severity to control itching. Once the itching is sustained, use a topical cream. If this still doesn’t help, you should consult a doctor.
Meditation and yoga have always been in our culture since ages; that is, ever since the emergence of Vedas. It is beneficial in many ways and has some benefits associated. Yoga helps to reduce weight and get a healthier and toned body. It also makes the skin shine making you look and feel attractive.
You can attain peace of mind by practicing yoga and meditation on a regular basis. If practiced yoga alone or meditation is alone, then also you can achieve many benefits. There are innumerable benefits that one can avail through yoga and meditation. Few of them are discussed below in brief.
- It Helps to Manage Stress
If you are practicing yoga regularly, then you can manage your stress with ease. Yoga helps in decreasing the inflammatory response made to the stressors on the body, which leads to a decrease in the possibility of stress and stress-related situations.
High blood pressure can be avoided by yoga and meditation as these practices help in reducing the stress level of both mind and body. On the other hand, meditation is responsible for the reduction in anxiety disorder and panic disorders too.
There has been an old saying that “what you are is what you eat”. This statement is partially true with research supporting this fact. There has been research in the field to check the personality along with the food intake of a person. There is evidence of food that help you improve your stress, help memory as well as aid you in your sleep. That is why there is a need to choose the foodstuffs you need in your dietary plan. In this section we will take a look at some of the most essential foods for your diets.
5 Essential foods:
Water: A huge proportion of our bodies consist of water which is surprising. This is the why you need to replenish your body with water every time your water levels run down. Make sure that you include your diet with foods that provide you with enough water to help you sustain your health. Men should drink around 3 liters of water and women should consume around 2.2 liters of water in their diets. It is not necessary to drink only water but fluids that contain a good percentage of water which can be extracted into the body.
While Botox injections is now commonly used to treat wrinkles and is useful to help treat many medical conditions and diseases, there are still some misconceptions about what it can and cannot do. Read on to find out 7 myths about Botox.
- The best time to use Botox is when you see wrinkles appearing. In fact, the best time to use Botox is before they appear. If you wait until you have wrinkles, it is much more difficult to get rid of them, especially if they have been there for some time. This means that the muscle causing them has become fixed into place and will be difficult to treat. Scowling, raising the eyebrows and squinting are all major causes of wrinkles. By using Botox early you may be able to use less in the long run.
- If you stop using Botox your wrinkles will get worse. This is also a myth. Once the Botox stops working your wrinkles will go back to how they were before. However, if you have used it for many years and so are now older, there will be a natural progression of muscle contraction that may make your wrinkles seem worse. But even without use, they would have been the same.
- You are never too young for Botox injections. Actually, many doctors disagree with this statement. Younger people in their teens rarely have any problems with wrinkles or even faint lines showing in their faces. Unless you have a problem with your skin, you won’t lose anything by waiting until at least in your early twenties – maybe even late twenties.